VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry or additional unsweetened apple juice
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. Set aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add apple; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the bread crumbs, basil, rosemary and remaining salt; heat through.
- Top each piece of chicken with 3 tablespoons apple mixture. Roll up and secure with toothpicks; coat with flour. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter until browned on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir apple juice and sherry or additional juice into pan, stirring to loosen any browned bits. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; discard toothpicks. Add remaining butter to pan juices; whisk until blended. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Stuffed Chicken Breasts in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p231