I made these delicious bars for a friend's birthday once and now he requests them every year! They have a tasty tartness with a cinnamony kick. Be sure to chop the apples into small cubes —if the apple pieces are too big, the bars will fall apart. —Danielle Millwer, Tonawanda, New York
Recommended: Apple Pie-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix flour, cracker crumbs, oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar and sugar. Stir in butter. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. pan. Bake until set, 8-10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix apples, spices and remaining brown sugar. Spread over crust; sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake until apples are tender, 30-35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Mix confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over top. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Apple Scream Bars in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p245