Apple Spinach Salad
Apple, onion and bacon flavor this crunchy salad from Roberta Ashcraft of Twin Falls, Idaho. "After eating a similar salad at a restaurant, I concocted my own version," Roberta relates. "The dressing gets its zip from chili powder and hot pepper sauce."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 red onion slices, separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- In a salad bowl, toss the spinach, apple, bacon, onion and nuts. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Refrigerate any remaining dressing.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 268 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Bertas Spinach Salad in Taste of Home April/May 2005