Apple-Smothered Pork Chops
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt and sage. In a large skillet, brown chops on both sides in oil. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Layer apples over the meat; drizzle with molasses.
- Add flour to pan drippings in skillet; stir until blended. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the vinegar and raisins. Pour over apples and chops.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 145°. Let meat stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 10, 2014
Very good and easy!!
Jun 12, 2012
My family of 7 (including some picky eaters) loved this! Very flavorful!
Sep 16, 2011
Made this for the first time tonight and I LOVED IT!!! All my kids ate it! It made really yummy gravy after it cooked that we put with some noodles and veggies! For sure will be doing this over again!
Oct 23, 2010
Many thanks,will try this one soon,Wattle
Oct 23, 2010
Wonderful recipe! I wouldn't change a thing.
Feb 16, 2010
Thanks for pointing out this recipe. We have 2 apple trees in our yard & I am always looking for ways to use them!
Feb 16, 2010
For some reason my star rating went to one star after I submitted it the first time but I meant was supposed to be 5 stars so I am going to try again. Nope, it's not letting me click the stars so you heard it from me...5 stars!
Feb 14, 2010
This is a great recipe for pork chops!! YUM! It's so hard to find a good recipe for pork chops and I am making this a permanent dish in our household. Not only does my husband like it but my 6 and 7 year old girls like it too. We did not have molasses so I sprinkled about 3/4 cup of brown sugar on top of the apples and omitted the raisins (just because no one likes to eat them in our family). We also added a lot more ground sage than the recipe calls for...has that hint of sausage taste that way. Also, make sure that you not only use the pan drippings from browning the pork chops but also use the drippings from the baking dish when it's done cooking otherwise you are missing a lot of the flavor from the dish.
Oct 10, 2009
Great tasting chops. Give it a try. You will not be disappointed. Great for company.
May 26, 2009
This is so delicious! One of my new favorites!