Apple & Sausage Wild Rice
Chunks of apples and summer sausage bring a delicious, sweet-and-savory contrast to wild rice. My husband absolutely loves it, and the prep work takes only 15 minutes.—Rebecca McIntire, Manitou Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 ounces summer sausage, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 medium apples, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, celery and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender.
- Add rice, apples and garlic; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Add cider, broth and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff with a fork.
Originally published as Wild Apple Rice in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.