Apple-Sausage Meatball Sandwiches
I love apples with sausage. I also love apple pie with cheddar cheese so I thought why not combine all three flavors together.—Pearl Ward, Hulmeville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 20 raisins
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, toss apple with cinnamon. Add sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 20 balls; insert a raisin in each meatball.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook meatballs in batches until cooked through, turning occasionally.
- Place buns on baking sheets, cut side up; top with cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with meatballs.
Originally published as Apple Pie Sausage Meatball Sandwich in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.