This is a nice way to jazz up canned beans. When it comes time to serve the beans, whoever was the best helper in the kitchen gets to eat the apple.—Becky Gourley, Sequim, Washington
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Fall Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (12 ounces) uncooked maple breakfast sausage links
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) baked beans
- 1 large red apple, cubed
- Cut sausage links into 1/2-in. pieces. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain if necessary. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the apple juice, brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses, pie spice and nutmeg. Stir into same skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the beans, apple and apple juice mixture to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until apple is tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Apple Sausage Beans in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2009, p80
Reviews forApple Sausage Beans
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 3, 2011
"I have made this recipe for a couple of family picnics and received some great comments. I like to use the maple flavored ground sausage myself."