- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup minced fresh sage
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 large apples, cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider, jelly and butter. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Remove from the heat and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons for finishing.
- In a small bowl, combine minced sage and butter. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub butter mixture under the skin. Brush turkey with apple cider. Sprinkle salt and pepper over turkey and inside cavity.
- Place the apples, onion and sage leaves inside the cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with cider mixture. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Brush with reserved cider mixture. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before slicing. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews forApple-Sage Roasted Turkey
"This recipe is a keeper. So moist and flavorful. This is how I will make my turkeys from now on."
"I looved it! you can't go wrong with this recipe and we are not big fans of turkey"
"My family said this was the best turkey I ever made! Very moist."