Apple-Sage Roasted Turkey
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours + standing
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup minced fresh sage
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 large apples, cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small saucepan, combine apple cider, jelly and butter. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine minced sage and butter. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub butter mixture under the skin. Brush turkey with apple cider. Sprinkle salt and pepper over turkey and inside cavity.
- Place apples, onion and sage leaves inside the cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with cider mixture. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand 20 minutes before slicing.
Freeze option: Place sliced turkey in freezer containers; top with any cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts9 ounces cooked turkey: 506 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 191mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 66g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 22, 2012
This recipe is a keeper. So moist and flavorful. This is how I will make my turkeys from now on.
Nov 17, 2012
I looved it! you can't go wrong with this recipe and we are not big fans of turkey
Dec 12, 2011
My family said this was the best turkey I ever made! Very moist.