Apple-Sage Roasted Turkey
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours + standing
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup minced fresh sage
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 large apples, cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small saucepan, combine apple cider, jelly and butter. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine minced sage and butter. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub butter mixture under the skin. Brush turkey with apple cider. Sprinkle salt and pepper over turkey and inside cavity.
- Place apples, onion and sage leaves inside the cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with cider mixture. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand 20 minutes before slicing.
Freeze option: Place sliced turkey in freezer containers; top with any cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts9 ounces cooked turkey: 506 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 191mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 66g protein.
Nov 22, 2012
This recipe is a keeper. So moist and flavorful. This is how I will make my turkeys from now on.
Nov 17, 2012
I looved it! you can't go wrong with this recipe and we are not big fans of turkey
Dec 12, 2011
My family said this was the best turkey I ever made! Very moist.