Apple Rice Salad
With the classic combination of apples, celery and walnuts, this creamy side tastes like a jazzed up version of Waldorf salad. It complements most meat entrees or can be served on a bed of lettuce as a vegetarian dish.—Linda Bankauskas, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, apples, walnuts, celery, cranberries and juice. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add to rice mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
To Make Ahead: Cook rice ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 376 calories, 26g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Apple Rice Salad in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010