Apple Rice Salad with Sunflower Seeds
The possibilities for this salad are endless! Try wild or brown rice instead of white; scallions instead of sweet onions; or a four-ounce jar of pimentos instead of red bell pepper. —Diann Mayer, Austin, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice, cooled
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 5 pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until blended. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 215 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 208mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Sunny Rice Salad with Apples in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014