Apple Rice Betty
Thelma Brown's cinnamony dessert is a longtime favorite. "When our six children lived at home, I made this often," says the Fulton, Illinois cook. "When my husband became diabetic, I reduced the sugar in the recipe. He enjoys this version as much as the original."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 6-7 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar substitute. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon whipped topping.