- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old cinnamon-raisin bread, cubed
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 7 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour butter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine bread cubes and apples; sprinkle over butter. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Pour over bread.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Serve with warm bread pudding. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/4 cups sauce).
Reviews forApple-Raisin Bread Pudding
"This is wonderful! Consider it a keeper!"
"I've made this 5 times. I love it and it always goes over well at my brunches. i actually love it without the sauce, but do make the sauce for those who like it sweeter."
"Simply wonderful; a perfect bread pudding with a wonderful texture and balance of flavors. The vanilla sauce was simple to prepare and was the perfect accompaniment to the main attraction. YUMMY!"
"Loved it just the way it was!"
"I would just make a few changes to recipe. I would add a tsp of cinnamon or 1/2 tsp of allspice to bread pudding egg mixture. The vanilla sauce could be improved by adding more butter and changing the sugar to brown sugar."
"This is really good and easy. My 1 and 2 year old love it too. I prefer to cook the apples (sprinkled with cinnamon) for about 3 minutes in the microwave before putting it in the dish, otherwise they're still crunchy at the end of the baking time. I also use pancake syrup instead of the vanilla sauce (which I didn't care for). Delicious breakfast dish!"
"I had a few day-old mini cinnamon bagels and took a thin slice off the top and bottom crusts before cutting into cubes. There was only 4oz of bread, so I cut the recipe into 1/4 (used 2 eggs) and threw in a handful of raisins, then baked it ~45 minutes in a loaf pan. The pudding is tasty, but the vanilla sauce is wonderful!"
"Yummy, yummy, yummy!! Will definitely make again....Leftovers make a wonderful breakfast!"