Apple, Raisin and Walnut Bread
My rustic bread studded with raisins and walnuts is great for breakfast with a cup of coffee or can even be eaten as a sweet snack. It’s divine with melted butter or spread with apple butter or jam. —Geneva Garrison, Jacksonville, FL
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 cups dried apples, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, optional
- In a large bowl, mix whole wheat flour, rye flour, yeast, salt and 2 cups bread flour. In a small saucepan, heat apple juice, yogurt and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead in dried apples, raisins and walnuts until dough is smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Using a sharp knife, make 3 shallow slashes on top of each loaf. If desired, brush loaves with egg. Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 198 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Apple, Raisin and Walnut Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2019