Apple Plum Streusel Dessert
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 to 7 medium unpeeled plums, thinly sliced
- 5 to 6 medium unpeeled Golden Delicious apples, thinly sliced
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and extracts until blended. Beat mixture on hight speed for 3 minutes. Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Spread the batter into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Arrange plum and apple slices over batter.
- For streusel, combine the flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in pecans. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. For glaze, whisk confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over streusel.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 330 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 1, 2012
I thought it was a bit dry. Next time, I think I will not bake it as long, I'll try about 35 minutes. But otherwise it was excellent. It was a hit at work
Jun 2, 2011
I thought this turned out great! I made it in a bit bigger pan, so it was thinner, more like bars, but very good. Next time I'll try it with just plums!
Aug 16, 2010
I am an avid baker, and I found this dessert to be rather dry, and bland. The fruit was had a nice taste (but then again, fruit usually does when baked), but that is all I can really say that was good about this recipe. I found that the almond extract was completely unnecessary, and probably ruined the taste for me. I make a "mean" Apfelkuchen, and this recipe falls short.
Mar 28, 2010
Batter worried me in the beginning because it was so light. Don't panic. Held up the fruit. I did use a mandillion slicer which was extremely helpful in making paper thin fruit slices.