- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forApple Pie
"The best apple pie I have ever eaten!!!"
"I love this pie and make it often! I’ve found that thinner and consistent apple slices are best, and you have to let it cool completely (up to 2 hours) to avoid soupiness. I also like to do an open weave with the top crust, which may allow for extra evaporation. Lastly, I cook it for about an hour total 30 with foil, 30 without."
"This pie was a soupy mess! I even followed the advice of another reviewer and reduced the juices and sugars of the apples before assembling the pie. Also, the apples were very thinly sliced and did not cook through after 50 minutes of baking when the crust was done. The flavors were very good but the way it baked up was unacceptable, especially for so much work. I'd be less disappointed if I had used a store bought crust and saved the time and effort. Will NOT make this again."
"BEST apple pie recipe that I've ever made. Everyone loved it."
"Flavorful and delicious!"
"For a pie novice like me this was an easy recipe to put together, the taste of apple mixture was good. My problem was that the apples were a little too soft. I cooked the pie the amount of time stated in the recipe. Maybe I sliced them too thin or I overcooked it. How thick should the apples cut ? I used 7 cups of Granny Smith apples. I am a better cake baker but this was a marvelous start to perfect ! Cannot wait to try it again. My husband said it was good never the less......"
"It's a good recipe. I opted out the ginger just because I'm not much of a ginger fan. I used 6 granny Smiths apple and 1honey crisp. It was alittle too Tarte. Next time I'll use another honey crisp apple and less granny Smiths. Wish I could add a picture."