Apple Pie Sour Cream
Want to know the secret in this version of an All-American favorite? It's sour cream! One bite, and you'll find yourself making this deliciously different pie often.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 4 large)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons streusel in pastry shell. Arrange half the apples in overlapping rows in pastry shell; sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine sour cream and milk; spread over apples. Arrange remaining apples over sour cream mixture in overlapping rows; sprinkle with remaining streusel.
- Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and streusel is browned. Cool on wire rack.
Originally published as Sour Cream Apple Pie in Taste of Home Cooking School Brand Name Cookbook Spring 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.