- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 6 small tart apples, peeled and cored
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle with vinegar. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until crumbly; set aside. Melt the remaining butter. Cut apples into 1/2-in. rings.
- Shape dough into sixteen 11/2-in. balls; roll into 5-in. circles. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Place one apple ring in the center of each circle. Top each with 2 teaspoons brown sugar mixture. Fold edges of dough over apple rings, leaving centers uncovered; crimp edges. Brush dough with remaining melted butter; sprinkle with sugar.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forApple Pie Pastries
"I absolutely love this recipe but challenged with the pastry pulling away from the pastry. Any hints?"
"We thoroughly enjoyed these mini apple pies. They are nice for eating out of hand, but would be great with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream as well. I made a few changes, ie. part whole wheat flour, less butter, and did not peel the apples. I also put about half a teaspoon of raisins in the centre of the apple rings before adding the brown sugar filling mixture. I love the idea of pre portioned desserts, and these did not disappoint."
"These were SO good. I made three slices in each apple and made 18 balls. I will sure make them again as my picky husband loved them!"
"this wasn't any more time consuming than a regular apple pie and it was worth all the 'effort'"
"I gave this a 4 because I only use the crust recipe. I love it, it's light, buttery and flaky, just the way I like my pie. The whole recipe was too time consuming for me to try more than once."
"i loved it. it was so easy to make."
"The kids loved them! This is the best pie dough ever!!!"
"5 stars for taste~4 stars for the prep work.Made for bake sale and received a lot of requests for the recipe. Every moment of prep was worth the effort, they were delicious!"
"Time consuming but very tasty!"