Apple Pie Ice Cream
As a mother of a young family, I appreciate recipes that youngsters really enjoy. This is certainly one of them.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Add pie filling and cinnamon. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 248 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Apple Pie Ice Cream in Country Extra November 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.