VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Add pie filling and cinnamon. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
Originally published as Apple Pie Ice Cream in Country Extra November 2001, p51
Reviews forApple Pie Ice Cream
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 3, 2012
"This is my favorite homemade ice cream recipe ever. I make this at least once a month!"