Apple Pie a la Mode
This pie a la mode is a family favorite that combines apple pie filling and butter pecan ice cream with caramel topping and chopped nuts. I created it when trying to think up a rich dessert to complete a dinner party menu. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + freezing
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)
- 2 cups butter pecan ice cream, softened if necessary
- 1 jar (12 ounces) hot caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Spread half of the pie filling over crust. Top with half of the ice cream; freeze 30 minutes. Drizzle with half of the caramel topping; layer with remaining pie filling. Freeze 30 minutes. Scoop remaining ice cream over top. Freeze, covered, until firm.
- Remove from freezer 30 minutes before serving. In a microwave, warm remaining caramel topping. Serve pie with warm caramel topping; sprinkle with pecans.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 398 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 357mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (59g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Apple Pie A La Mode in Quick Cooking November/December 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.