- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (1-1/2 inches)
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Additional butter, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in apple and raisins. Combine the buttermilk, egg yolk, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients. In a small bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour batter by heaping 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cider until smooth; add cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard cinnamon stick. Stir nutmeg into syrup. Serve pancakes with warm syrup and additional butter if desired. Yield: 6 pancakes (2/3 cup syrup).
Reviews forApple Pancakes with Cider Syrup
"My 13 year old grandson loved these pancakes, I added toasted walnut for the crunch and because we love walnuts.. The syrup was delicious and easy to make. Definitely making them again."
"These are absolutely perfect!!!Second time making, I didn't have milk...so I subbed apple cider for the milk!!! Even more perfect!!! Plus a splash of cloves! And doubled the cinnamon for our family! I tripled the recipe and I didn't run out! ?? Can't wait for breakfast!!!! We ate them for supper tonight!"
"Very good! I omitted the raisins, but that is a personal preference. I would make these again and would HAVE to double the recipe next time!"
"Seems like alot of work for 2 servings - Willing to try it once, hopefully it's worth it!"
"These were really good. I especially liked the syrup! I doubled the recipe, and still barely had enough for 8 pancakes that were about 6 inches in diameter. They come out thick and dense, but very good!"
"Perfect for a chilly fall morning! My family loved these!"
"I added finely chopped walnuts. Delicious!"
"A requested breakfast in the fall"
"The pancakes are wonderful. The syrup is way too sweet. Will be changing that recipe around a bit I think."
"i havent yet made this but was wondering what the sugar content is...my husband has chrons and i have to keep it healthy you know."