Apple Pancake Tier
When our two college-age sons come home, they request their favorite apple pancake recipe. I especially like to make it in the fall...after my husband and I have purchased our usual 4 bushels of apples! —Ellen Govertsen, Wheaton, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 to 7 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Confectioners' sugar and ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, beat eggs until fluffy. Add milk. Combine flour, salt and cinnamon; add to egg mixture and mix well. Brush 3 tablespoons butter on sides and bottom of three 9-in. pie pans (using 1 tablespoon in each pan). Divide batter evenly between the pans. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden and puffy.
- Heat remaining butter in a skillet. Saute apples for 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in sugar and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until apples are tender. Drain, reserving juice. Sprinkle apples with lemon zest.
- When pancakes are done, layer on a serving plate, beginning with 1 pancake and a third of the apples. Repeat layers twice. Dust with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon. Serve with reserved apple juice, if desired.