Apple Pancake Tier
When our two college-age sons come home, they request their favorite apple pancake recipe. I especially like to make it in the fall...after my husband and I have purchased our usual 4 bushels of apples! —Ellen Govertsen, Wheaton, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 to 7 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Confectioners' sugar and ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, beat eggs until fluffy. Add milk. Combine flour, salt and cinnamon; add to egg mixture and mix well. Brush 3 tablespoons butter on sides and bottom of three 9-in. pie pans (using 1 tablespoon in each pan). Divide batter evenly between the pans. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden and puffy.
- Heat remaining butter in a skillet. Saute apples for 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in sugar and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until apples are tender. Drain, reserving juice. Sprinkle apples with lemon zest.
- When pancakes are done, layer on a serving plate, beginning with 1 pancake and a third of the apples. Repeat layers twice. Dust with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon. Serve with reserved apple juice, if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 355 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 244mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Apple Pancake Tier in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook