- 2 large unpeeled baking apples, cored and quartered
- 1 large unpeeled orange, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a blender or food processor, process apples, orange and raisins until finely chopped; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Stir in fruit mixture and nuts. Pour into three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3 loaves.
Reviews forApple Orange Bread
"This was very good. Made a lot. I used butter instead of shortening and I didn't use any nuts since I was taking it to a church breakfast and no nuts are allowed there, due to allergies. My blender wouldn't chop the orange, apples and raisins so I ended up transferring it to my food processor to chop. Should have used the food processor in the first place!!! Will definitely make this loaf again."
"This is so good! I enjoyed smelling the flavor while it cooked. My husband came home from work and asked what I baked. He was hooked. So good . My sister is an expert baker. I gave her the recipe she enjoyed it also."
"I have made this recipe and I really enjoyed making it, too! I admit that I did make adjustments on the recipe for my own tastes, but it is an excellent way to use up apples and oranges!"
"I have made this bread many times and it is one of my favorites. The flavor is oustanding. I always make sure to purchase an organically grown orange."
"These are a nice hearty loaf, tasted great even though I forgot to add the lemon extract. I cut the recipe in half and made mini-loaves."
"I made these yesterday and making more today everyone loved it!!!!"
"I used craisins instead of raisins. Make sure to wash apples and oranges thoroughly before making this. Very moist bread."