Apple-Nut Quick Bread
Every year when the apples are ready for picking, my husband says, "How about making a loaf of that apple quick bread?" This recipe featuring pecans came from a friend and has received many blue ribbons. —Lorraine Retzlaff, Shawano, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, 1-1/2 cups sugar and oil. Stir in apples; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- Pour into two greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pans. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Originally published as Apple Nut Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2007
May 29, 2014
This bread was tasty but very crumbly. It literally fell apart. I was going to take it to a friend but pulled a banana bread out of the freezer. I ate most of it, but I wouldn't make it again.