Apple Nut Muffins
I added bran to a favorite apple muffin recipe I had to make it more nutritious. We enjoy these warmed for a quick breakfast.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups wheat bran (Miller's Bran)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 baking apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a mixing, combine the first five ingredients; mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes. Combine flour, sugars, baking powder and salt; add to the bran mixture. Stir well (the batter will be lumpy). Fold in apple and nuts. Spoon into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups (cups will be full). Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until muffins test done.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Apple Nut Muffins in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.