Apple Nut Muffins
I added bran to a favorite apple muffin recipe I had to make it more nutritious. We enjoy these warmed for a quick breakfast.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups wheat bran (Miller's Bran)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 baking apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a mixing, combine the first five ingredients; mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes. Combine flour, sugars, baking powder and salt; add to the bran mixture. Stir well (the batter will be lumpy). Fold in apple and nuts. Spoon into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups (cups will be full). Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until muffins test done.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Apple Nut Muffins in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook