VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a large bowl, combine the apples and sugar. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and almond extract. Add to apple mixture and toss to coat. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; stir into apple mixture just until moistened. Stir in pecans.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the sugar, flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts. Serve with warm cake. Yield: 9 servings (2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Apple Nut Cake with Rum Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p229
Reviews forApple Nut Cake with Rum Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review