Apple ‘n’ Honey Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the apple, milk and honey; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently 5-6 times. Gently pat dough into a 9-in. circle, about 1/2 in thick. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over dough. Cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 272 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 20, 2013
The perfect scone - moist, but not dense. An almost rustic flavor with the toasted wheat germ. Not overly sweet, but definitely a winning combination. Great with my cup of coffee.
Apr 28, 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.