Apple ‘n’ Honey Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the apple, milk and honey; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently 5-6 times. Gently pat dough into a 9-in. circle, about 1/2 in thick. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over dough. Cut into eight wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 272 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 20, 2013
The perfect scone - moist, but not dense. An almost rustic flavor with the toasted wheat germ. Not overly sweet, but definitely a winning combination. Great with my cup of coffee.
Apr 28, 2010