Apple Jack Crumb Pie Recipe
I serve this apple pie at my monthly bridge club meetings, and I always get many compliments. The cheese in the streusel gives the treat an interesting flavor. —Mary June Donovan, Clinton, Massachusetts
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup grated aged (dry) Jack or Gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine raisins and brandy; cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- 2. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper. Add the apples, lemon juice and raisin mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to pastry.
- 3. Combine flour and sugar in a food processor. Add butter; cover and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add cheese and almonds; pulse just until combined. Sprinkle over filling.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Jack Crumb Pie
Reviewed Sep. 19, 2015
"a wonderful pie. the bran dy adds just a hint of flavor that i really liked"
Reviewed Aug. 7, 2014
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC