Apple Harvest Squares
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makesabout 20 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups sliced peeled apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1-1/3 cups sweetened shedded coconut
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt and 1/3 cup sugar. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs; press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Arrange the apple slices on top of crumbs; sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine 1/3 cup sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining sugar with the rest of the ingredients. Spoon over baked apples; bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares while still warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 195 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 25, 2018
The squares had a good taste but they didn't stay firm when picked up. I had to cut them in small squares. Also, I gave it three stars because what do you do with almost a full can of evaporated milk, when this recipe only calls for 1/3 cup?
Oct 3, 2016
These squares were delicious! They stayed together well and are even better after sitting for a day. I think they would be perfect if you subbed brown sugar for the white sugar in the coconut/milk/nut mixture.
Jun 9, 2011
turned out really delicious, added 1 cup more apples, and sprinkled with a little nutmeg, to give it that little something, for the topping I added 1/3c. nuts, what I really liked, the slices stayed nice and firm even the next day, will definitely make it again. thanks for a great recipe!
Nov 23, 2010
I have used this recipe for about 17 years. I got it from an elderly friend who was a wonderful cook and had a fantastic collection of family recipes. She shared many of them with me and this one has become a family favorite.