Meet the Cook: After finding this recipe years ago, I altered it to fit our tastes by adding the apples. Our whole family loves them! We look forward to fall when we go out to the orchards to gather the fresh-picked ingredients for pies, cobblers, salads...and, of course, this sandwich. Dinnertime has always been important to our family as an opportunity to share food and news. Our three children are grown now, and my husband and I are the grandparents of seven. -Shirley Brazel, Rocklin, California
Recommended: Our Most Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup chopped tart apples
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 8 slices process American cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Combine apples, mayonnaise and walnuts. Place a slice of cheese on four slices of bread. Layer each with 1/3 cup of the apple mixture, a slice of ham and another slice of cheese; cover with remaining bread.
- Butter the outsides of the sandwiches. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat on each side until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Ham Grilled Cheese in Country Woman September/October 1997, p31
Reviews forApple-Ham Grilled Cheese
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2015
"wasn't for me"