Apple Gorgonzola Frittata
"After a few chilly days hiking in the Adirondack Mountains, I got the idea for this recipe at a nearby diner, where they served an apple omelet. I added my own touches, and this is the result," writes Harry Renninger of Laplata, Maryland.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper; set aside. In another bowl, toss apple with lemon juice; set aside.
- In a 7-in. ovenproof skillet, saute onion and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Discard garlic.
- Reduce heat. Add egg mixture to skillet; sprinkle with apple and cheese. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until eggs are nearly set.
- Uncover; broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 425 calories, 33g fat (15g saturated fat), 482mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Apple and Cheese Frittata in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008