Apple-Glazed Beef Brisket
My mother-in-law shared this wonderful recipe with me. Of all the recipes I give out, this is the most requested.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 2 hour 55 min.
- 1 fresh beef brisket (1 to 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 whole cloves
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons white wine or white grape juice
- 1 teaspoon minced green onion
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on both sides; drain. Add the onion, garlic, whole cloves and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Drain and discard pan juices. Cover and refrigerate meat for at least 2 hours.
- In a saucepan, combine the apple jelly, wine or juice, green onion, mustard, salt, pepper and curry powder. Cook and stir until jelly is melted. Place meat in a greased foil-lined 11x7-in. baking dish. Pour half of sauce over meat. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until meat is heated through and glazed, basting several times Serve with remaining sauce.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 256 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Apple-Glazed Beef Brisket in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips