Apple Gingerbread Recipe
- 4 to 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1. Arrange apple slices in a greased 17-in. x 11-in. x 1-in. pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix remaining sugar with molasses and butter until smooth. Mix in eggs.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Add molasses mixture and beat until smooth. Add boiling water and mix. Pour batter over apples and spread evenly in pan.
- 4. Bake for 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Yield: 20-24 servings.
1 piece: 183 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Apple Gingerbread
"This was a very interesting cake. The apples on the bottom were a surprise to hubby and nephew. It was moist and delicious. I made this in a 9x13 pan."