Apple Gingerbread Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each baking powder, baking soda and ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and ground nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a saucepan, combine the apples, water, brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the egg, sugar, buttermilk, molasses and oil. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt and nutmeg; stir into buttermilk mixture just until combined. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into apple mixture. Pour apple mixture into 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread gingerbread mixture over apples. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the topping comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 247 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 20, 2010
Too much water with the apples, will use 1/2c next time. Too much molasses in cake, it was heavy and more of a spice cake than gingerbread. I like the idea of a gingerbread cobbler but will try to blend this recipe with a more traditional gingerbread cake.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.