I love traditional fruitcake, but the rest of my family does not. The apple version I came up with got everyone’s seal of approval.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (14 slices)
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup red and/or green candied cherries, quartered
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, combine apples and orange juice; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and nutmeg; add to sugar mixture just until blended. Fold in the cherries, apricots, walnuts and apple mixture.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut with a serrated knife.