Apple Fruit Salad
Lots of apples are grown in southern Illinois, and this is one of my favorite ways to use them. I like Golden Delicious, or a combination of Golden and Red Delicious for pretty color, but you can use whatever type of apple you prefer. The cooked dressing gives the salad an old-fashioned feel.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 3 medium apples, diced
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- For dressing, in a small saucepan, combine the sugars, flour and water until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount into the egg; return all to the pan. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vinegar and butter. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, bananas, celery, grapes, pineapple and cashews. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 172 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Fruity Apple Salad in Country Extra January 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.