Apple-Filled Cranberry Muffins
Now that I live in Florida, making these tasty muffins takes me back to my days in the Northeast, where cranberries and apples are in abundance.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cranberries
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- For filling, combine apples, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. For muffins, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine eggs, oil, cranberry juice, cranberries and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups one-third full. Spoon 1 tablespoon filling on top. Fill muffins cups two-thirds full with remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 35-30 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Editor's Note: 3 tablespoons of vanilla is correct.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 306 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Apple-Filled Cranberry Muffins in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook