Apple Fennel Salad
This apple fennel salad is a favorite of my wife's. Preserved lemon may be difficult to find, but the salad is still delicious without it. —Jason Purkey, Ocean City, Maryland
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 large tart apple, julienned
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup glazed walnuts
- 1. In a small bowl, bring vinegar to a boil; cook 4-5 minutes or until thickened to a glaze consistency. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine arugula, fennel and apple. In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, oil, pepper and salt until blended. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Add cheese and walnuts.
- 3. Drizzle eight plates with balsamic glaze. Top with salad.
1 cup: 198 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC