Apple Dumplings with Sauce Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 8 medium tart apples, peeled and cored
- 8 teaspoons butter
- 9 teaspoons cinnamon-sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into eight portions. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Roll each portion of dough between two lightly floured sheets of waxed paper into a 7-in. square. Place an apple on each square. Place 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar in the center of each apple.
- 3. Gently bring up corners of pastry to each center, trimming any excess; pinch edges to seal. If desired, cut out apple leaves and stems from dough scraps; attach to dumplings with water. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
- 4. In a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Bring just to a boil, stirring until blended. Pour over apples.
- 5. Bake 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown, basting occasionally with sauce. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 760 calories, 40g fat (16g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (59g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Apple Dumplings with Sauce
"Can you use premade pie crust dough just as successfully?"
"Sooooooooooooooooooo good! Just don't forget the vanilla ice cream!"
"Awesome recipe. I add maple extract to the syrup because that's what my mom always did. Best served with butter pecan ice cream!"
"I wouldn't even give this recipe one star. The crust was terrible! I followed the recipe exactly like it said and all the dough did was fall apart. I don't know how this got a good review , Because this is the worse recipe ever. Threw the dough away after using it for one apple and got a great recipe out of one of my grandmas recipe books."
"Delicious winter comfort food! My husband loves both apple & stodgy puddings so was just crazy about this recipe."
"I'd never made apple dumplings before and these were fantastic! They were a hit with everyone who tried them."
"These ARE AMAZING! Such a hit served alongisde vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of the sauce - everyone get saying "mmmm this is so good"!"
"A wonderful and fun dessert!"
"Dumplings just like mom used to make! Just melt in your mouth delicious!"
"Better than my mother-in-laws. Children want me to make these more often."
"My family loves this recipe. They eat or take home all of it. It's especially good in the Fall when apples are fresh and readily available."
"Perfect apple dumplings. I served them warm with a side of vanilla ice cream, and the room fell silent as everyone indulged. Definitely a keeper."
"I made them and I love this recipe. My kids don't like new recipes i make but they like these apple Dumplings. they wanted me to make them again. I made these apple dumplings twice."
"Whole family loves it."
"the yummiest I have ever tasted, reminds me of my GrandMothers MP"
"Wonderful! Crisssspy coating, especially if you baste it a lot with the brown sugar sauce, we LOVE this recipe, use it year after year!"
"Great recipe. My husband loved it. A great way to use up the fall apples."
"My family love the dumplings. easy to make."