- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a bowl, combine the biscuit mix, 1/4 cup sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir in pecans. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Toss apples with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle over batter.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, cream and remaining sugar. Pour over the apples; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forApple Custard Coffee Cake
"Family consensus was this is just ok and not a keeper. Made as directed. I did make sure to whisk custard mixture (eggs, sugar, cream) until it was well blended and smooth before pouring over. cake was done at 40 minutes. We served it after 20 minutes resting. It baked up nicely and looked pretty on the table. The custard had set along the bottom which we expected based on experience. The cake had a nice texture -- no one complained -- even the one that doesn't always like nuts in cakes. The comments were that it just had no "yum" factor, and the various tastes (apples, cake, custard) just didn't combine in a way that impressed. My husband (who is great cook) said it might have been better with sweeter apples? I did try it cold the next day -- and also reheated, but it still did not excite. Too bad. It was easy to put together."
"Very dry and dense - custard all went to bottom of cake - very disappointed - will not make again"