- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, combine egg, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- In a small bowl, beat the filling ingredients until smooth. Drop by tablespoonfuls into centers of muffins.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over filling. Bake 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forApple Crisp Muffins
"Not the taste we were looking for in an Apple Muffin. Plus my cream cheese filling just sat on top."
"My cupcakes actually turned out quite bad. The only thing I left out was the orange peel shavings. The cream cheese just sat on the top of the muffin, didn't sink into the muffin as I thought it should and it wasn't very tasty at all. Will definitely remove this recipe from my favorites."
"My daughter and I ate this right out of the oven and both of us originally felt the orange flavor was overpowering. The next day, the muffins tasted delicious and we liked the filling. I guess cream cheese was not meant to be eaten warm. So I give this recipe a 5 star rating, instead of a 4."
"I didn't like the filling too much. I used the exact amount the recipe called for, but I felt the orange taste was too strong. The rest of the muffin was great. Next I'm going to try to adding cinnamon and vanilla to the cream cheese instead of the nutmeg and orange peel."
"The muffins are good but next time I will omit the filling. I think it took away from the taste and would be better without it."
"I've made a lot of muffins in my time but these were awesome. Perfect amount of moistness and sweetness. My modifications are to substitute oat bran for 1/2 of the four, and to bury some cranberries in each muffin before baking, as I love the contrast between tart cranberries and sweet apples. I didn't care for the maple cream cheese filling that much. I'm guessing the type of apple used and how fine it is chopped would greatly affect the outcome. I used one Rome and one Granny Smith, shredded instead of chopped."
"Wow! great recipe, company worthy..great with or without "filling" thanks."
"They were too dry for my tastebuds"
"I was also dissappointed with these muffins. I agree they looked and sounded so good. The crumble topping was very good and the best part of the muffin. The rest of the muffin was very bland and after sitting a while in the paper muffin cups they became quite greasy. If I was to make these again I would maybe use a different apple (I used red delicious because it's what I had on hand) add white sugar and use vegetable oil instead of canola oil."