Apple Cream Shortcakes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 3-4 times.
- Roll out into an oval, about 1/2 in. thick. Using a floured 2-1/2 -in. biscuit cutter, cut out two circles. Place 1 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the filling ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 3-4 minutes or until apples are tender and sauce is thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top with apple mixture and whipped cream. Replace shortcake tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 515 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 467mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 14, 2019
OMG...so good. Fun and tasty dessert for the fall season!
Nov 30, 2014
This is a great and tasty twist on the classic shortcakes. YUM! Worth a try!
Aug 18, 2010
Nom Nom YUM