- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Combine nuts, cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter; gradually add remaining sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Spread half of the batter in a well greased 10-in. tube pan with a removable bottom. Top with apple slices; sprinkle with half of the nut mixture. To with remaining batter, then with remaining nut mixture. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until cake tests done. Remove from oven; let stand 30 minutes. Loosen sides of cake; lift cake with removable bottom from pan. Cool. Before serving, carefully lift cake from pan. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forApple Cream Coffee Cake
"I made this cake this weekend and while It was very tasty it came out dry. It was not as moist as it should be. I followed directions exactly and don't understand why? Any comments?"
"It was delicious. I baked at 325 for 45 minutes, but the cake was raw. So I baked at 350 more 30 minutes."
"It was delicious. I baked at 325 for 45 minutes, but the cake was eaw. So I baked at 350 more 30 minutes."
"I would give this more stars if I could! A few of my modifications: I substituted 1/2 of the butter with applesauce, and half of the batter sugar with Splenda. I baked in a 13 x 9 pan, baking at 350 for 35 min. You really have to spread it out, then add the apples/sugar mix, and finally spoon the remaining batter (about 1 cup) over the top. I then spread & pushed that around as well, pushing the apples down into the batter. The cake came out very moist, but not "wet" and the apples were delicious. I agree with another poster that if you bake this in a bundt type pan, you might want to increase the batter by half."
"Wonderful and very moist!"
"I used applepie filling, lemon filling, blueberry filling, and all came out very good. :) Stays moist for days."
"This cake is good.. the sour cream keeps it moist and light. I baked mine in a bundt pan.. sprinkle the nut mixture at the bottom and then layered as per the recipe. I used 1.5 apples instead of 1. Next time, I'll probably use 1.5 time the batter to fill my bundat pan. This recipe is a keeper."
"This is wonderful! Made it for friends who invited us to dinner. Everyone wanted more! It would also make a good breakfast/brunch coffee cake. The only change I made was to increase the walnuts to 3/4 cup, the sugar to mix with them to 3/4 cup and the cinnamon to 2 1/2 tsp. And I completely covered the bottom layer with the apple. So moist! Will make this a lot."
"I'm always looking for a way to cut calories, fat, etc. I substituted Splenda for the sugar and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.butterfly pie"
"I used 1/2 Cup of brown sugar instead of the white for the walnut cinnamon topping and it gave it a little better flavor."