Apple Cream Cheese Kuchen
This is a very old recipe that my mother made often, when I was a child in Germany. It was our Sunday dessert. You can also use other fruit as a topping, such as plums, fresh peaches or apricots.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the egg, milk, butter, sugar, lemon peel, salt and 3/4 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface. With floured hands, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; build up edges slightly.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar. Gently spread over dough. Arrange apple slices over top; brush with butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 265 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Apfel Kuchen with Cream Cheese in Reminisce Extra September 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.