- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Additional sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, tapioca, water and orange peel; let stand for 15 minutes. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in apples. Set saucepan in a pan of cold water for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Pour filling into crust. Top with remaining pastry or a lattice crust. If using a full top crust, cut a few slits in it.
- Beat egg white and water until foamy; brush over top pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool completely. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forApple Cranberry Pie
"I think I did something wrong. The middle never set, so I had more of a cobbler. It was to tart for me, but everyone really liked it. We made it at Thanksgiving and I had some vanilla ice cream on top to cut the tartness. Not sure if I will make this again."
"Loved the blend of the apples and cranberries. One of my guests who likes to make pies asked for the recipe. Good holiday pie, provided a little something different from the usual pumpkin (although that was enjoyed too!) Recipe is a keeper."
"I've made this a few times and everyone loves it! I substitute the juice of an orange for the water and omit the tapioca, comes out wonderful!"
"You'll find quick-cooking tapioca in the pudding section of your store"
"I did not know how to ask a question without doing a 'review'. What is quick-cooking tapioca? pudding? This sounds delish, just want to do it right."
"This pie is delicious. The tart of the cranberries compliments the sweetness of the apples. I used a crumb topping instead. I will absolutely make again and again."