Apple Cranberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Additional sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, tapioca, water and orange zest; let stand for 15 minutes. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in apples. Set saucepan in a pan of cold water for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry. Pour filling into crust. Top with remaining pastry or a lattice crust. If using a full top crust, cut a few slits in it.
- Beat egg white and water until foamy; brush over top pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 474 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 208mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 27, 2014
I think I did something wrong. The middle never set, so I had more of a cobbler. It was to tart for me, but everyone really liked it. We made it at Thanksgiving and I had some vanilla ice cream on top to cut the tartness. Not sure if I will make this again.
Dec 1, 2013
Loved the blend of the apples and cranberries. One of my guests who likes to make pies asked for the recipe. Good holiday pie, provided a little something different from the usual pumpkin (although that was enjoyed too!) Recipe is a keeper.
Oct 28, 2012
I've made this a few times and everyone loves it! I substitute the juice of an orange for the water and omit the tapioca, comes out wonderful!
Nov 20, 2011
You'll find quick-cooking tapioca in the pudding section of your store
Nov 20, 2011
I did not know how to ask a question without doing a 'review'. What is quick-cooking tapioca? pudding? This sounds delish, just want to do it right.
Oct 10, 2010
This pie is delicious. The tart of the cranberries compliments the sweetness of the apples. I used a crumb topping instead. I will absolutely make again and again.