Apple Cranberry Cutout Pie
My husband loves pie, so I made one with apples, raspberries and cranberries. It’s so good, I bend the rules and let the grandkids have it for breakfast. —Brenda Smith, Curran, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 4 cups frozen or fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Additional orange juice and sugar, optional
- Divide pastry dough into two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- In a Dutch oven, mix sugar and flour; stir in fruit, orange zest, orange juice and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until apples are tender and juices are thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Roll larger portion of pastry dough between two pieces of waxed paper into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Remove top piece of waxed paper; place a 13x9-in. baking pan upside down over pastry. Lifting with waxed paper, carefully invert pastry into pan. Remove waxed paper; press pastry onto bottom and up sides of pan. Refrigerate.
- On a well-floured surface, roll remaining dough into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Cut out 2-3 trees using a tree-shaped cookie cutter. Place dough on baking sheet and refrigerate 15 minutes until firm.
- Remove and reserve tree cutouts. Add filling to prepared pan. Place pastry over filling. Seal edges to bottom pastry by crimping with a fork. If desired, brush pastry with additional orange juice. Decorate top with cutouts. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches): In a large bowl, combine 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 Tbsp. sugar and 2 tsp. salt; cut in 1-3/4 cups shortening until crumbly. Whisk 1 large egg, 1 Tbsp. white vinegar and 1/2 cup ice water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 478 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Holiday Pie Squares in Holiday 13x9 2015