With its hearty ingredients and quick prep time, this warm apple crisp makes a smart dessert for any fall night. It reminds me of the recipe my grandmother would serve after our big family seafood dinners. It's absolutely wonderful topped with ice cream. —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
Recommended: 32 Recipes For Your Baking Bucket List
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups peeled sliced tart apples (about 4-5 medium)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or to taste)
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together apples and 1/4 cup brown sugar. In another bowl, combine corn bread mix, oats, cinnamon and remaining brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Add 1/2 cup corn bread mixture to apples. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle remaining corn bread mixture over top. Bake until filling is bubbly and topping golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Apple Corn Bread Crisp in Taste of Home September/October 2017