- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or juice
- Minced fresh parsley
- Mix first four ingredients. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer vegetables; sprinkle with half of the salt mixture.
- Toss chicken with oil and remaining salt mixture. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in batches. Add to slow cooker. Top with bay leaf and apple. Add vinegar and cider.
- Cook, covered, on high until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Discard bay leaf. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forApple Chicken Stew
"Didn't peel the apples. Used parsley instead of caraway. Filling, but not heavy."
"The apple juice makes the chicken very tender, but it gives too much sweetness to the dish overall. And with so little juice, there's almost no broth. It's more like chicken and vegetables cooked in juice than a stew. I think it should have been mixed with broth before cooking. While the chicken was good, I won't make this again -- it's too sweet."
"My family loves this tasty stew! I always add additional cider or apple juice so it's consistency is more like a soup."
"The caraway gives it just the right touch."
"This recipe was a lot of work and end result was only fair."
"This was very hearty and flavorful! My husband hates vinegar and he loved the bite and slight tartness of the stew. Definitely try this stew out!"
"I thought this was awful. It did smell fantastic while simmering though."
"I cut this down and made it for two."